Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo 

I usually try to describe what I see or read using my own words,  but I really love the way Penguin Books describes this on their site. “Teeming with life and crackling with energy, told through many distinctive voices, this novel follows the lives of twelve very different characters. Mostly women, black and British, they tell the stories of their families, friends and lovers, across the country and through the years.”

I started reading this toward the end of the year when I was feeling exhausted and I found I couldn’t put it down. And so I did. I felt that I wasn’t enjoying the poetic language and the wonderful characters enough, and so I turned to some other stuff that I could read without thinking too hard. Then I left it for about six weeks and started to worry that I had built up how much I was loving it. Thank goodness, I hadn’t. It’s so beautiful and funny and strong and wonderful. Read it. Read it. Read it.

Girl, Woman, Other won the 1029 Booker Prize jointly with The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.