The Leaving by Tara Altebrando

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Description:  Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to.

Until today. Today five of those kids return. They’re sixteen, and they are . . . fine. Scarlett comes home and finds a mom she barely recognizes, and doesn’t really recognize the person she’s supposed to be, either. But she thinks she remembers Lucas. Lucas remembers Scarlett, too, except they’re entirely unable to recall where they’ve been or what happened to them. Neither of them remember the sixth victim, Max. He doesn’t come back. Everyone wants answers. Most of all Max’s sister Avery, who needs to find her brother–dead or alive–and isn’t buying this whole memory-loss story.

My thoughts: The Leaving, written by Tara Altebrando, was a captivating story, with mystery and suspense present throughout the whole book. As I read through I couldn’t stop, needing to constantly know what is next. I loved this book, but, although the buildup whilst I was reading, the ending of the book was slightly disappointing; it was not what I had expected and wanted to happen, but I guess in a way it was meant to end as it did.

Review by Olivia